Chemiewerk Rüdersdorf is an abandoned chemical factory located in Rüdersdorf, a town just a few kilometers from Berlin, Germany. This site started life in 1899 as a cement factory, before it was taken over and used to produce bauxite vital for the German war efforts.
Chemiewerk Rüdersdorf abandoned since 1999 and falling into disrepair, the chemical factory resembles a post-apocalyptic world. Since its closure, it’s become a popular destination for Hollywood films, graffiti artists and urbex exploration trips.
History of Abandoned Chemical Factory Berlin
The factory constructed in 1899 as a cement factory and through the years, it has produced bauxite, animal feed and phosphates for farming purposes. The cement plant in Rüdersdorf had modern kilns which operated until 1939 when the plant was acquired by the Prussian mining and metals company Preußag.
Under the Nazis, the plant continued producing cement until 1940s when it was adapted to produce chemicals. During World War II the site was then used by the Nazis for the production of synthetic bauxite used in the process of aircraft production.
The Soviets dismantled the plant after the war, but it found a new lease of life in 1950 when the VEB Glühphosphatwerk Rüdersdorf was formed to make the aforementioned phosphates. And by by 1959, the chemical factory was producing more than 21,000 tons.
The plant was eventually transferred to the East German government in 1962 and two more kilns were added in 1972. After Berlin Wall fall chemical plant continued production through the first years of German reunification but production capabilities and personnel were scaled down. In 1999 Chemiewerk Rüdersdorf shut down production lines and factory was closed and abandoned. There are several abandoned buildings and it attracts many urbex explorers.