The abandoned Hinchliffe Stadium, or “City Stadium”, is an Art Deco style depression era facility built with public funds in 1932. The design of the stadium was inspired by a decades-long popular stadium movement of the 1920s. It is a large concrete oval with near-continuous seating laid out like a classical amphitheater. It was used by the Negro League and home, for over a decade, to the New York Black Yankees. It also hosted venue for boxing, football and ‘midget’ car racing. During its time Abbott and Costello, the Andrews Sisters and Duke Ellington performed here.
The stadium was greatly successful during its prime which lasted into the 1950s. In 1964 the facility was enlarged for use by the city school system. Later, in the 1980s, the stadium was temporarily used for semi-pro football and international soccer games. However, shortcomings in maintenance lead to a compromise of the structural integrity of the field prompting Hinchliffe’s closure in 1997.
Hinchliffe Stadium was put on the list of National Historic Landmarks in March of 2013. It is located in Paterson, New Jersey. A $94 million renovation project is underway to restore Hinchliffe Stadium to its former glory. The restoration of the Art Deco WPA-funded facility is the core of the Hinchliffe Stadium Neighborhood Restoration Project, which includes additional neighborhood facilities.
Construction on the Hinchliffe Stadium started in May 2020 and is scheduled to be finished by November 2022. The Paterson school district will have exclusive rights to use the stadium about half the year, and during the rest of the time the owners plan to hold events at Hinchliffe.