The match factory was opened in the village of Verkhniy Lomov in the 19th century, however, it almost always worked on imported raw materials. It was nationalized in 1918 and remained relatively small until the 1940s. During the World War 2 a large number of enterprises were evacuated to the Penza region.
The choice of this particular place for a narrow-gauge railway was justified by the fact that there were peat deposits in the vicinity of Verkhniy Lomov — the importance of this fuel for the industry during the war was great due to its cheapness and availability. A narrow-gauge railway was built to transport peat from the deposit to the factory. At first, its length was short – only 4 kilometers, but with the development of new peat massifs, the paths were extended further and further.
The narrow-gauge railway reached its longest length (14 kilometers) in the 1960s-1970s when trains transported peat. In the mid-1970s, the extraction of peat was ceased, the need for peat transportation disappeared, and the rails were dismantled.
But the narrow-gauge railway still played the role of intra-plant transport: timber was transported between the warehouse (next to the broad-gauge Verkhniy Lomov station) and the local factory. It is not surprising that the length of the tracks did not exceed two kilometers during that period.