The Poltoratsky Manor House in Avchurino is an abandoned manor house in the Ferzikovsky district of the Kaluga region, built in the Empire and neo-Gothic style. The Avchurino manor house according to the list approved by the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR dated August 30, 1960, No. 1327 “On further improvement of the protection of cultural monuments in the RSFSR”, is an architectural monument subject to protection as a monument of state significance.
The History of Poltoratsky Manor House
The pride of the Avchurin manor house of the times of Yaguzhinsky was Dubovy Prospekt. The avenue was 300 fathoms long and 5 fathoms wide. Its remains are visible in 2013. In 1823, the architect Luigi Pelli erected a 22-meter span in front of Red Bridge Avenue. Currently, the bridge has collapsed. An alley ran from the gothic house through the rotunda to the church.
The rotunda was erected in 1818 by the architect Pelli after a drawing by Stasov, who worked for the Poltoratskys. This Empire-style gazebo was a small round pavilion with a 4-column portico. Under the Goncharovs, the rotunda was put in order – before their purchase of the estate, a glacier was placed under the rotunda, and a chicken coop in the rotunda, the columns barely held up. Until the beginning of the 21st century, the rotunda was preserved almost entirely, but in 2001 only one portico remained from it.
The main building of the manor house, which was built by Fyodor Alekseevich Vasiliev in the 18th century under Yaguzhinsky, stood between the Gothic house and the right wing facing the river. It has not survived – it burned down in 1860. It was a traditional Russian manor house with a mezzanine and a colonnade. An artificial pond was built in front of him.
Of its two wings of the beginning of the 19th century, only the left one has survived – a one-story building with a columnar portico, added in the 1910s by the Goncharovs. In 2013, it is in acceptable condition and is used as the office of a local agricultural enterprise. An unpreserved pond from the 18th century was located behind the main building, in front of the river. It was of artificial origins, like the islands, but it had a natural shape. Bridges were thrown over the islets, a ferry was arranged. A pond separated the buildings from the lower building.
Poltoratsky Manor House in the 20th century
After the revolution, the estate was nationalized. After 1917, a rest and study house was created in the estate, where A.L. Chizhevsky, V. Yaroshevsky, and others read lectures. During the Second World Ward, many buildings were destroyed but later restored.
Resolution of the Legislative Assembly of the Kaluga Region No. 88 of 22.07.1994 provided for the restructuring of tourist hotels and the restoration of the Avchurino estate complex , but this did not lead to anything.
Poltoratsky Manor House in the 21th century
As of 2013, the estate is in a deplorable state. The Avchurino Estate Charitable Foundation for Revival and Reconstruction was registered in 2011. Resolution of the Government of the Kaluga Region of June 16, 2005 No. 165 included Avchurino in the register of tourist resources.
If you’d like to see more abandoned places in Russia then check out our articles on the Soviet Tram Graveyard in Russia and the Post Apocalyptic Landscapes of Lodeynoe (New Teriberka), Russia