Pokrovskoe-Streshnevo is a former manor house near Moscow with an adjoining park, now in the northwest of Moscow. Other names are Pokrovskoe-Glebovo and Glebovo-Streshnevo. It includes a classicist manor house, a 17th-century patrimonial church, and buildings in the Russian style.
Until the 1980s, it was believed that the present church had existed since 1750, however, the restorers under the leadership of S. Kiselyov, as a result of surveys, revealed a window in the eastern wall that was preserved in fragments of the walls of the 1620s. Thus, the church was “aged” for 130 years.
The History of Manor House Pokrovskoe-Streshnevo
Starting in 1664, the manor house for two and a half centuries was in the hands of the descendants of Rodion Matveyevich, passing through the hands of six generations of his descendants. Since the second half of the 18th century, the owners have positioned it as a memorial to the merits of the Streshnev family. First, a portrait gallery was formed in the manor house, telling about this (one of the few surviving portrait collections of the manor house – now in the funds of the State Historical Museum), and under the last owner – Princess Shakhovskaya-Glebova-Streshneva – it acquires features that indicate an open imitation of the details of the Kremlin decoration. The obelisk in front of the facade is also an imitation of the obelisk in the Kremlin’s Alexander Garden, dedicated to the merits of the Streshnev family.
After the death of Rodion Mikhailovich in 1687, the manor house passed to his son Ivan Rodionovich. Under him in 1704, in the village of Pokrovskoye, there were: a patrimonial yard, in it a clerk and a groom, a cattle yard, in it 4 people, and 9 peasant farms for 34 people.
After the death of Ivan Rodionovich (1738), his rich inheritance is divided between his sons, and Pokrovskoe goes to General-in-Chief Peter Ivanovich Streshnev (d. 1771). Under him, the clan patrimony begins to expand and transform in the spirit of the times, especially after the Manifesto on the Liberty of the Nobility (1762), after the publication of which Streshnev immediately resigned. The children of Peter Ivanovich died in infancy or early childhood, so in 1750 he made a vow to renew the church in order to beg the life of another child.
In the 1750s. the church is being rebuilt in the Baroque style, to which the refectory is attached; in 1766, a stone manor house was built in the Elizabethan Baroque style with a suite of 10 ceremonial rooms and a collection of paintings from more than 130 paintings (including 25 generic ones), however, according to experts, of rather mediocre quality. By the end of the century, the number of paintings in the collection exceeded 300.
After the death of Elizaveta Petrovna Glebova-Streshneva in 1837, the estate passed to Colonel Evgraf Petrovich Glebov-Streshnev (the eldest son of Peter Fedorovich Glebov-Streshnev, after the death of his father in 1807, together with his other children, was raised by his grandmother Elizaveta, and then in 1864) year, to his niece Evgenia Fedorovna Brevern, who married Prince M.V. Shakhovsky and, in view of the suppression of the male line of the Glebov-Streshnevs, received (together with her husband) the triple surname Shakhovskaya-Glebova-Streshnev. At this time, Pokrovskoe-Streshnevo was increasingly called Pokrovskoe-Glebovo, since the Glebovs were in the first place in the names of family members.
In 1852, in the village of Pokrovskoye, there were 10 courtyards, where 40 male and 42 female souls lived, a church and a manor house with 10 courtyards. 30 years later – 15 yards, in which 263 people lived, two shops, 22 summer cottages, and not only landlords, but also peasants.
In 1889-1890, according to the project of the architect Kolbe and Popov, a powerful stone fence with red brick towers in the Russian style was erected around the estate. The forged side gates – right, leading to the temple, and the left, locked, facing the park – are genuine, the work of the master E. Knot. Central, entrance – a remake of the 1980s.
After the revolution, the manor house, together with the dachas, was requisitioned and turned into a sanatorium of the Central Committee, and the Elizavetino bathhouse was transferred to the textile workers’ rest home. In 1925 she became the set of the film “Bear’s Wedding”. In 1919, a museum was opened in the main house, in which the atmosphere of the former manor’s estate was recreated. The specificity of the museum exposition was to show “the decline of the noble culture in the era of the decay of serfdom.” In 1927 the museum was closed. In 1923 the writer V. Shklovsky lived in the manor house.
Since 1970, the Scientific Research Institute of Civil Aviation has been located here. In the 1980s, it belonged to the Aeroflot company, and in connection with plans to arrange a house for civil aviation receptions here, studies of the estate and restoration work began, within the framework of which the distortions of the old part of the main house that arose during its rebuilding of the late 19th – early 20th centuries were eliminated during the reign of Princess E.F. Shakhovskaya-Glebova-Streshneva, and she was returned to its original appearance at the beginning of the 19th century.
In addition, the corner tower of the fence and the arched part of the wall with the front gate were restored. In the spring of 1992, a serious fire broke out in the palace, which destroyed the attic floor and severely damaged the ceremonial halls of the second floor, as well as brick extensions. The restoration of the palace began, already in the mid-90s, the volume of the main house was restored and internal finishing work began, but they were interrupted, and since then the palace has actually been abandoned and dilapidated.
If you’d like to see more abandoned places and shipwreck, then check out our articles on the Soviet Ships Graveyard in Perm, Russia and the Photos of Moscow abandoned factory and sunken ships