Allenberg Psychiatric Hospital was a medical facility for the mentally ill, which operated from 1852 to 1940 in Velau (now Znamensk) in East Prussia. By 1929 it had 1400 patients. Before the Second World War, most of the patients died from smallpox.
In 1940, the Allenberg Psychiatric Hospital was closed. Some of the patients were sent to families or other psychiatric hospitals, and the hopeless and incurable patients were killed. Allenberg Psychiatric Hospital was the largest complex of its kind in the region.
After 1945, the buildings of Allenberg Psychiatric Hospital belonged to the Soviet army and used as a military base. Initially, a Soviet tank regiment was based, and later 4 military units were deployed on the territory of the hospital at once: 68510.64301 military unit, 43-anti-aircraft missile brigade, 01907, 81 radio technical regiment. All hospital buildings (barracks) are typical – 3-storey buildings with a basement and an attic.
The main building of the psychiatric hospital and the canteen had different architecture. There was also a water tower built at the end of the 19th century on the territory of the hospital. The military units were disbanded and left the territory in 2013. After that, the place became totally abandoned.
If you’d like to see more abandoned places then check out our articles on the History of Creepy Northville Psychiatric Hospital and the History of Abandoned Princess Oldenburgs Palace in Ramon