A Russian water station on a railroad is a place where steam trains stop to replenish water. The stopping of the train itself is also referred to as a “water stop”. The term originates from the times of steam engines when large amounts of water were essential. Also known as wood and water stops or coal and water stops, since it was reasonable to replenish engines with fuel as well when adding water to the boiler.
At the points of outfitting steam locomotives, hydrocolumns are installed for refueling steam locomotives with water. Hydrocolumns were built on several tracks of the station at once – so as not to uncouple the locomotive from the train. However, things are not so simple. Some water towers were equipped with swivel hydrocolumns. The hydrocolumn was outweighed higher due to a change in the height of the main rolling stock, probably in 1928, that is, the times of changing a narrow gauge to a wide.
All capital buildings were subject to precise leveling. In order to preserve the results of leveling on the ground and to deliver reference points in height for all sorts of practical purposes, strong marks called leveling marks are laid along the lines of precise leveling every 20-25 kilometers1). It is a pity, however, that here she got severely corroded. In the USSR, these brands are cast from cast iron weighing 1-2 kilograms; the stamp represents a disc (Fig. 373) 15 centimeters in diameter with a hollow pyramid-shaped tide, the base of which is turned to the side opposite to the disc.
A small bulge is made in the middle of the outer side of the disc, the center of which represents the point for which the absolute height is subsequently calculated. Around this bulge are cast the words “Leveling Military. Top. Managed. “Or” Leveling GUGK “and the year of work. Each observer is provided with a sufficient number of leveling marks in advance for the entire period of fieldwork.
The abandoned water tower has its own unique inventory number.
Opposite the water tower, the wooden building of the old station has remained with beautiful carved windows and stove heating. On one side lived the station superintendent, and on the opposite side there was a village store. But now the windows are boarded up and the house is empty.
Now the water station is equipped in a small and completely unremarkable brick building next to an open platform.
The weather that day was sunny without a single cloud and the original silhouette of the old tower loomed in the backlight.
And this is how she looked about six decades ago. The photo was taken approximately in 1959. Life here was in full swing and there were more ways. Wide and narrow track.
Let’s take a walk around the water tower itself.
Although on the front door it is written in large letters that ENTRANCE IS FORBIDDEN, but from the black, it is a sin not to walk. We did not break the fence, it seems that time itself unlocked the passage to the territory of the water intake for the stalker.
Nothing interesting awaited us, except for dried thickets of weeds and boarded up windows.
The openwork staircase leading to the tank turned out to be remarkable. As a rule, they are equipped with the internal space of structures.
The steps are completely rotten and overgrown with blue lichen.
Expert on Urban Planning and Abandoned Places
|Mr. Gregory Hooqe is a highly experienced expert on Urban Planning and Sustainable Development. Mr. Gregory Hooqe has been focusing on Urban Development since 2000 and has written extensively on the subject.|
He was awarded the 2009 Korea Foundation Professional Award for his research on Korean Smart Cities, as well as the 2016 Korea Development Institute, Global Ambassador Award for SD and Innovation