The photos were taken by Comdig Urban Exploration Group. They are photographers and explorers based in Russia. The Comdig has been documenting urban decay, industrial abandonments, and rural decomposition since 2010.
The Moskvitch 410 was an experimentally designed limited production car made by Soviet manufacturer MZMA from 1957 to 1961. Initially conceived as an economical and comfortable means of transport for agricultural machines’ repairing teams, the 410 presented itself as a four-wheel-drive version of the Moskvitch 402 with a more powerful engine and higher ground clearance.
History of Moskvich 410
In 1956, the development of the Moskvich M-73 prototype began, the main difference from the previous one was that it was created from scratch. The engine and a number of units were borrowed from the Moskvich-402. However, due to the lack of sufficient production capacity at that time at the GAZ factory, all the developments were transferred to the MZMA factory.
In the first quarter of 1957, the Moskvich-410 was put into mass production. Mass operation of the 410th revealed a number of defects. Meanwhile, the MZMA factory started the creation of a completely new four-wheel-drive “Moskvich”. The first prototype was assembled in 1957. Both externally and structurally, the prototype resembled the American Willys MB SUV. In 1958, the design of a car body was changed — the prototype with a tarpaulin convertible top was named “Moskvich-415”. In 1960, a model with an all-metal body was designed — Moskvich-416.
In 1961, with a change in the leadership of the MZMA factory, priorities were changed. The plant’s management adopted a decree to stop the development of a family of all-terrain vehicles and increase the production of Moskvich-407. The 415th and 416th Moskvich cars were never put into production.
Moskvich 410 Technical Information
It was powered by a 35 hp (26 kW) engine, but in 1958 upgraded to the 410N (in Russian: 407Н), fitted with a more modern 45 hp (34 kW) unit, from Moskvitch 407. In total, only 7580 of model 410 and 1515 of model 411 were made.
Standard equipment included radio and folding seats. The ground clearance was 220 mm (8.7 in) under axles and 430 mm under a floor, it could cross water up to 0.3 metres (11.8 in) deep, and in first gear it could climb 33 degrees. The early version had a 3×2 speed + 1×2 rear gearbox which in 1960 was replaced by a 4×2 speed + 1×2 rear gearbox. The top speed was 90 km/h (56 mph).
Moskvich 410 Construction defects
Due to its high center of gravity, the Moskvich-410 was unstable on the road. For example, when cornering at high speed or lateral rolls, the vehicle was prone to overturning.
The body structure was not rigid enough. When operating in off-road conditions with a large load, the load-bearing elements of the body quickly “tired” and could burst. Despite all this, many copies of the car have quite successfully survived to this day.
Expert on Urban Planning and Abandoned Places
|Mr. Gregory Hooqe is a highly experienced expert on Urban Planning and Sustainable Development. Mr. Gregory Hooqe has been focusing on Urban Development since 2000 and has written extensively on the subject.|
He was awarded the 2009 Korea Foundation Professional Award for his research on Korean Smart Cities, as well as the 2016 Korea Development Institute, Global Ambassador Award for SD and Innovation