The photos were taken by Comdig Urban Exploration Group. They are photographers and explorers based in Russia. The Comdig has been documenting urban decay, industrial abandonments, and rural decomposition since 2010.
For 2010, the “House-building plant No. 1” founded in 1961 is the enterprise for construction of apartment houses, the largest in Russia, building more than 1 mln sq.m of housing in Moscow.
History of House-building plant
The idea of creating house-building factories was put forward in Leningrad in 1958 (by the secretary of the Leningrad City Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, engineer S.M. Verizhnikov, director of Glavleningradstroy V. Ya. G. Yuzbashev and others). In 1958, on the basis of the prefabricated reinforced concrete plant of trust No. 19, the first DSK was created, which in April 1959 was named Polyustrovsky.
The construction of a panel house resembles the assembly of a children’s design kit. Ready-made parts of the structure are delivered to the construction site, which the builders can only mount. As a result, labor productivity in such a building is very high. The area of the construction site is much less than that required for the construction of a brick house. Such time-consuming and labor-intensive processes as the installation of reinforcement or concrete, which are typical for monolithic housing construction, are completely excluded. And this is exactly what experts see as the main advantage of panel housing construction over other types of construction.
Since 1963, the plant has been developing and mastering a new series of panel houses – MG300. In 1966, MG300 was put into production. Compared to the “K-7”, it was a more capital construction – with thickened outer panels, more convenient layout of apartments. But very few MG300 houses were built. The need for five-story buildings had disappeared by that time. Simultaneously with MG300, a new series of a nine-story panel house is being developed — II-49.
In the 1980s “DSK No. 1” had operations in Surgut and Nizhnevartovsk, where sixteen and seventeen-story houses were built. At the end of the 1990s, houses of the experimental P-44M series were built in Mitino (Moscow region). These are elongated, long eight-module buildings. But since the house “M” was too large, it was not suitable for mass construction. But from this experience, all the best could be taken. And they took it. Residential complex on Rubtsovskaya embankment (1999), which was recognized as one of the best Moscow projects of the past decade.
Expert on Urban Planning and Abandoned Places
|Mr. Gregory Hooqe is a highly experienced expert on Urban Planning and Sustainable Development. Mr. Gregory Hooqe has been focusing on Urban Development since 2000 and has written extensively on the subject.|
He was awarded the 2009 Korea Foundation Professional Award for his research on Korean Smart Cities, as well as the 2016 Korea Development Institute, Global Ambassador Award for SD and Innovation