The Ramon Sugar Factory was founded in 1840 in the possession of Ivan Ivanovich Tulinov, a Voronezh industrialist, owner of the largest cloth factories, whose ancestors, having arrived from near Tula, built a fleet with Peter in Voronezh, supplied the Russian army with cloth, canvas, and ropes. Being proactive and controversial people, they became not only entrepreneurs but also landowners. And when at the beginning of the century near Tula in the village of Alyabyevo the first beet sugar plant in Russia appeared, the Tulinovs, seeing in it a source of significant income, founded a sugar production in Ramon.
After the death of I.I.Tulinov, his sister Anna Ivanovna Tulinova (by her husband Shele), a determined and strong-willed woman, started a lawsuit with the legal heir of the Ramon estate, her own nephew Nikolai Ivanovich Tulinov, and in 1852 became the mistress of 1,586 acres of land and a sugar factory … Only 17 dessiatines were sown with sugar beet, because the technological equipment was based on manual labor, the plant could not process a larger amount of sugar beet. In 1863, the new owner of the sugar factory, Lieutenant General Ogranovich and Colonel Leparsky, managed to introduce some improvements, the factory began to bring tangible income up to 40 thousand rubles a year. In 14 years, they will sell a prosperous enterprise together with land for 240,000 rubles to a certain Velyaminova, a relative of the Vyazemsky princes.
In 1880, the old building of the Tulinovsky plant was demolished, new factory buildings with a high chimney and towers were built, and the plant was switched to diffusion technology using steam. The plant’s productivity was increased to 150-200 thousand quintals of sugar per day. In 1891, in addition to the sugar and sand production, a refinery was opened, which produced cone-shaped sugar “heads”; on the southern side of the sugar factory, a three-story extension of the “Steam factory of sweets and chocolate of Her Imperial Highness Princess E. M. Oldenburgskaya” was built, the products of which will bring the factory and its owner are world famous. According to the 1906 price list, over 400 varieties of sweets and chocolate were produced. The factory was awarded gold medals at international exhibitions in Brussels, London, Paris.
In 1901, the Grafskaya-Ramon railway line was put into operation, which made it possible to transfer the plant from wood fuel to Donetsk coal, to ensure the delivery of cheap raw materials from the Anninskaya railway line from the estate of the Pereleshin landowners, therefore 1901 is considered the year of foundation of the Ramon station. At this time, the plant works at least 120 days a year, its daily productivity is 205 centners.
In 1913 the plant was reconstructed again. A suspended cable car is being built for the mechanized transportation of sugar beet pulp from the sugar factory to the cattle feeding station (Rabochaya street). Delivery of goods from the station. Ramon is made to the plant using a horse tram (narrow-gauge railway, along which cars were moved by horses).
In 1940, the Ramon Sugar Factory celebrated its 100th anniversary. The regional newspaper “Communa” and the regional newspaper “For the Bolshevik Harvest” published extensive materials for the anniversary of the plant. On the first page of the “Commune” was published a large group photo of the Stakhanovites, below it – a greeting from the regional committee of the CPSU (b) and the regional executive committee. On the third page – an article by the director of the plant, Davydov, “Centenary of the Ramon Sugar Plant”. During the Second World War, the enemy approached Don and Voronezh. In 1942 the plant was evacuated to the station Belovodskaya. The plant at the new location began its work. On January 25, 1943, Soviet troops liberated Voronezh — the second half of 1943 was the beginning of a period of restoration.
In 1954, the daily processing of beets was brought to 13 thousand centners, and 10 years later in 1964 up to 20 thousand centners. The sugar-making season lasts up to 225 days; the plant provides the country with over 400 thousand quintals of sugar.
In February 1978 the plant was admitted to the category of an experimental enterprise of the Russian Federation. Ramona sugar makers are entrusted with testing new equipment and new production technologies. The Ramon Sugar Factory repeatedly restored, modernized, but the last re-equipment was not destined to come true, and in the 2000s the work of the plant stopped forever.