Battery “Gray Horse”, since August 29, 1919 — Fort “Peredovoy”, since 1926 — Fort “Bukharin”, from 1936 to 1953 — Fort “Krasnogvardeisky” —defense coastal battery t. Constructed in 1911 at Cape Gray Horse near the village of Chernaya Lakhta. The position included two open long-term batteries – on the left flank a four-gun 120-mm Vickers guns (in Soviet times, No. 332), on the right, a three-gun 152-mm Kane guns (in Soviet times, No. 331).
The defense battery was designed thanks to the memo of the engineer-major-general A. A. Shishkin. Its main task was to fight enemy landing ships in the Koporsky Bay, in order to avoid the capture of the fort from the land.
Coastal Defense Battery Location
For the defense battery, a place was chosen near the Gora-Valdai village on a high plateau 200 meters from the coast. At the construction site itself, there was a railway line, which was laid to the village of Ustye in 1916 to supply the local coastal battery.
For the construction, a special organization UNR No. 9 was created, which in 1928 began work at the facility. The new battery was named “Battery No. 9”. Due to financial difficulties, the concreting work was completed only in 1930, after which the installation of the towers began.
History of abandoned defense battery
Unlike the tower artillery of the Ino and Krasnaya Gorka forts, where two 2 gun turrets were placed in one giant concrete mass, the towers of the new battery were placed in small concrete “glasses” more than 150 meters apart.
The power plant and boiler room, located in a separate block, were connected to the tower blocks with special poles, which, for simplicity, were dug in an open way. Such a layout of the complex ensured the best survivability of the entire battery, and, which was important in those years, allowed significant savings in concreting costs.
The towers were manufactured by the St. Petersburg Metal Works for the battleship “Emperor Paul I”, completed in 1911. The battleship itself was cut into metal in the fall of 1923, and its 120-mm guns were transferred to the armament of the river flotillas. The towers were mothballed and waited another seven years.
By 1932, the installation of artillery and other systems was completed at battery No. 9, the first firing was carried out. In subsequent years, a monorail suspended railway was built from the railway platform to the towers for supplying ammunition, a command post, rangefinder posts, and barracks for personnel. In the summer of 1935, battery No. 9 was finally commissioned and accepted into one of the artillery divisions of the Krasnaya Gorka fortified area.
During the WW2, along with the guns of the Krasnaya Gorka, the tower battery on Surniemi defended the Oranienbaum bridgehead, and later it suffered the fate of all the other batteries of the Kronstadt fortress: in 1958 it was removed from combat duty and mothballed, and in the mid-60s the towers were dismantled.
The battery power plant was used by the local military unit until 1998, but then all the equipment was dismantled At present, the wells of the tower installations and the interior are partially filled with water, and everything that could be cut off and carried away has been cut off and carried away. But even in this form, the battery is a very impressive monument of history and engineering.