The Church of the Savior Image of Edessa (Spasskaya Church) is an inactive Orthodox Church in the village of Aksinino in the Venevsky district of the Tula region, built-in 1790-1863.
The church complex, consisting of a Church and a two-tiered bell tower, was designed in the form of Russian classicism. On the dome of the church, there was a sculpture of a kneeling angel with a cross.
History of Abandoned Church
The parish in these places is mentioned in the scribal books of the end of the XVI century, but the time of its initial appearance and the origin of the name is unknown. There is no information about churches that existed in that region before. The village of Aksinino was first mentioned in the scribe book of the Rastovets camp of the Tula district in 1626.
In the late eighties of the XVIII century, the owner of Aksinino was the widow of captain Vladimir Semyonovich Davydov, Praskovya Alekseevna.
The existing stone Church of the Savior Image of Edessa with a chapel in the name of the Archangel Michael began to be constructed in 1790 at the expense of a parishioner-landowner Paraskeva (Praskovya) Alekseevna Davydova.
First, a chapel was built, and the construction of the main church building lasted for many years. The landowner’s business was continued by her heir — Alexey Vladimirovich Davydov, and he finally completed the construction of the Church in 1863.
Architecture and decoration of the church
After the completion of the long-term construction of the temple, the church ensemble of the estate was formed: two entrance pyramid turrets placed side by side, an outboard bell tower with an arched passage and a stone spiral staircase to the belfry and the family mausoleum-burial vault of the Davydovs, built in the 1810s and consisting of a semi-underground crypt-podium a light and graceful gazebo set above it with a spherical dome resting on columns. In the middle of the mausoleum, an oak, broken by a storm, was hewn out of stone, which is very characteristic of the era of romanticism.
On the dome of the temple stands a kneeling stone statue of the Archangel Michael with a cross in his hand, which, according to some researchers, echoes the sculpture installed on the Alexander Column in St. Petersburg.
Current status of the church
The Davydov’s’ manor house in Aksinyino, standing until 1900, has not survived. But other buildings of that time, including the unique church complex, remained. The main building of the church, the altar and a two-tiered bell tower with a passage arch have been preserved. Columns in the main volume and in the altar have been preserved inside, as well as door frames, wrought-iron doors and grilles. The refectory and the dome on the bell tower are absent.
In Soviet times, services in the church were held only on major holidays, and after the death of the priest in the 1950s, it stopped. Then, until the 1980s, the church was used as a collective farm warehouse. Under the influence of time and indifference to this place, the church complex was in a deplorable state. The sculpture of the archangel is also noticeably dilapidated and partially destroyed.